What is POFMA?
POFMA is the Protection from Online Falsehoods and Manipulation Act. It is also commonly known as Singapore’s anti fake news legislation. The law came into effect on 2 October 2019.
More overviews of the POFMA legislation can be found here:
- POFMA in the Singapore Statutes
- Singapore Legal Advice’s Guide to POFMA
- Academia.sg’s overview of POFMA’s news coverage and their statements on POFMA
What is POFMA’ed?
POFMA’ed is a dataset which aims to record every instance of the use of this legislation, for reference by academics, media practitioners and the general public. The data will be updated continually.
- Read the latest updates here.
- Download the data here.
- Follow the latest updates on this dataset and POFMA-related news via the POFMA’ed twitter.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- New Naratif (POFMA: Singapore’s Clumsy “Fake News” Hammer)
- Our Class Notes (Pofma — but not for WhatsApp so far)
- The Diplomat (Singapore’s First Election Under the Fake News Law)
- ASEAN Parliamentarians for Human Rights (In Singapore, an Already Unfair Vote Undermined by COVID-19)
- Singapore Votes (Singapore Votes Resource List)
- La Trobe University (Fighting Fake News Industry Report)