Note: a more recent version of the dataset and its analysis is available (please check the Updates section of the website).
This update of the dataset includes 1 new report, 2 new POFMA uses and 2 new communications.
This dataset’s methodology and sources
The sources used are government reports (POFMA Office press releases and Gov.sg Factually articles). Media reports and direct sources (the communications themselves) are also used to verify the accessibility of some communications.
How does the dataset define reports, uses and communications?
A report is a government press release issued to announce a use of the legislation.
Within a single report, one can find multiple distinct directions or orders under POFMA. Each of these are classified as a distinct use of POFMA.
Each direction or order can affect multiple distinct electronic communications, such as a Facebook post or website article.
- According to Report 1, a Facebook post is the subject of a correction direction, issued to Individual A.
- According to Report 2, this same Facebook post is also the subject of a targeted correction direction, issued to Facebook.
The POFMA’ed dataset would thus track that Facebook post as one communication, subject to two distinct POFMA uses, according to two distinct reports.
According to the dataset:
- One can find 44 distinct uses of POFMA affecting 39 electronic communications, recorded in 23 government reports.
- 36 out of 44 uses of POFMA target electronic communications on Facebook, making it the medium of content subject to the most uses of POFMA (websites and the HardwareZone forum account for 6/42 and 2/42 respectively).
- 32 out of 44 uses of POFMA are correction directions.
- 25 out of 44 uses of POFMA concern content relating to the ongoing COVID-19 outbreak.
- 18 out of 44 uses of POFMA name individuals as recipients of the directions or orders issued.
- 12 out of 44 uses of POFMA took place in January, making it the month with the most POFMA uses.
Improving the Dataset
Are you thinking of using this dataset and do you find the current distinction between reports, uses and communications intuitive for your purposes? As a student, I’m ever eager to improve this dataset’s accuracy and useability to others, and am wondering if a different way of organising these cases might be better suited to what I’m measuring.
If you have thoughts, comments or suggestions, please do direct them towards POFMAed@gmail.com.